Saturday, July 2, 2011

Italian Sausage, Peppers & Onions


 
I made these sandwiches a few weeks ago but I never posted them. I take the photos and write down the recipe as I am cooking, we enjoy eating the dish but I just don’t get around to blogging about them. It’s amazing how many photos that I deleted today because I have missed place the papers that I wrote the recipes on. Yes I guess I could just make up a recipe to go with the photos but to me that just wouldn’t be right. So that just means I will have to try making the dish again. I know that this will make my husband Richard happy because he always enjoys eating what I make.
This recipe came about because I had a lot of Italian sausage in my freezer. You know what that is like if you shop at Costco. And I have used Italian sausage in a few of my dishes like Italian Sausage Soup and Baked Spaghetti with Italian Sausage. And I have often used Italian sausage instead of ground beef in my pasta sauce.  But today I wanted to make something different.
So I thought why, don’t  I make a very popular Italian dish that uses sausage I looked up how a few other cooks prepared the dish and read a few recipes that I found in my cookbooks and that is how I came up with this recipe that more suites my taste and is very simple to prepare. It turned out great and I will definitely be making this dish again, not just because I still have a lot of Italian sausage in my freezer. But because these sandwich tasted so good!

Italian Sausage, Peppers & Onions
1 pound Italian sausage, sliced
2 bell peppers, sliced
1 large onion, sliced
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 (15oz) can diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon oregano

In a large skillet brown Italian sausage slices over medium high heat; remove from skillet and set aside. Using same skillet sauté bell peppers and onion with the salt, black pepper and garlic until the vegetable are tender. Return the sausage to the skillet and add the  diced tomatoes and oregano. Simmer for 15 minutes. Serve on toasted sourdough  rolls.


 
Pin It

No comments: