Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Enticing Blueberry Coffee Cake


This is another great recipe giving to me by my friend Mary, who also gave me the Scandinavian Almond Bars recipe. She served this coffee cake at a brunch at her house last year. It looked so beautiful and yummy that I just had to have the recipe. The original recipe didn’t call for a glaze so I added that and I change the name. I added the word enticing, because that's what it does.
 I am so grateful for people like Mary who love to share their recipes. So many people try to keep them a secret. I will never understand why some people take their recipes with them to their graves. I believe so many great family recipes are lost that way. Remember that is why I started this blog in the first place because my daughters Brandy and Ariel wanted to know how to prepare all the great dishes that I have been making for them all these years.
And now because of this blog and all the work that I have put into it this blog and my recipes will live on way after I am gone.   And for those of you that are stilling holding on to your recipes so tight, I say let them go so that your recipes will also live on forever!

Enticing Blueberry Coffee Cake
1½ cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ cup butter, soften
½ cup sugar
1 egg
2/3 cup milk
½ teaspoon vanilla
2 cups blueberries (frozen or fresh)

Crumb Topping
1/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
½ teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons butter, melted

Glaze
½ cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
2 teaspoons milk

 Preheat oven to 375F. Grease a 9-inch baking pan.
Sift together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar with a spoon or spatula until light and fluffy. Mix in egg, milk and vanilla. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients blend until smooth. Spread batter into the prepared baking pan. Top with blueberries; set aside
To prepare crumb topping mix together 1/3 cup sugar, flour, cinnamon and butter in a small bowl with a fork until crumbly. Sprinkle over the blueberries in baking pan.
Bake 25 to 30 minutes. Cool 5 to 10 minutes on a wire rack before serving.
For glaze: In a small bowl combine confectioners’ sugar and milk, blend with a spoon until smooth drizzle over cake and serve.



Pin It

4 comments:

Brandy said...

my mouth is drooling :)

Kim Bee said...

This looks amazing. So glad you shared with everyone. I like your ideas on sharing. I have a couple recipes I am forbidden from putting on mine. I just don't understand why keeping them secret it important. Most people change them anyway and tweak them. Seems silly to me as well.

Allison said...

This looks incredible! I can't wait to try it!

Heidi said...

I can't wait to try this one out!