Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Pineapple Pie


Who would have guessed that when I made this pie that it would have started a family feud! This pie can about when Richard and I walked past a Hostess display at the store the other day. I stopped and looked to see if they had one of my favorites the Suzy Q and of course they didn’t. Which led us into a discussion about Hostess treats that we love. Richard mentioned that one of his favorite from his childhood was the pineapple pie which is very hard to find now. I started thinking why couldn’t I make a pineapple pie myself. So I went looking for a recipe and found this one on the Dole web-site. Now let me tell you about our little family feud.
I made this pie last Tuesday and we all loved it. And then I was thinking as I drove to work on Wednesday that I hope that pie doesn’t go to waste. You see because I bake so much it’s not a special thing in my house to have such threats around. Sometimes I have to give them away to friends. Well later that night Richard pulls out the pie for dessert and more than half the pie is gone. Ariel yells what happened to the pie I only got one piece. Richard says I had some for breakfast and Ariel says it must have been a big piece then. Richard tells her it’s been here all day you could have had some. All I know is that they went back in forth this way for a while and then they decided in the end to just split the rest of the pie.
So I guess I don’t really need to tell you how this pie tasted, I just hope it doesn’t start a feud in your house like it did in mine!

Pineapple Pie
1 (20 oz.) can DOLE Crushed Pineapple
½ cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
¼ teaspoon salt (optional)
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Pastry for 9-inch double-crust pie

Combine crushed pineapple, sugar, cornstarch and salt in saucepan. Cook, stirring, until thickened and clear. Stir in butter and lemon juice. Cool slightly.
Pour filling into unbaked 9-inch pastry shell. Top with second crust and flute edges, cut slits in several places.
Bake at 400F., 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly golden brown.


Pin It

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting pie with pineapple.Haven't eaten thatone yet:)

Anonymous said...

Someone asked me for this pie at our restaurant, but I had never heard of it. Gave it a try, made some adjustments on second pie, used 2 cans of chunk pineapple minus the juice, then crushed in food processor, used 2/3 cup sugar, 3 tbsp corn starch and bake at 425 for 25 min, and 350 for 25 min.

Manuela said...

this sounds good!
I only havd one pie shell left and was wondering if a crumb topping would work too??

Anonymous said...

Tried and thought it was very good