Sunday, July 24, 2011

Zucchini Parmesan


As I had mentioned before in my post Zucchini Bread, I have a zucchini plant and I am trying to think up recipes that I could make with my abundance of zucchini.
One dish that I have always wanted to try was Eggplant Parmesan, but my husband Richard has always told me that he hates eggplant so I never tried to make it. Well I was thinking why not use the zucchini in place of the eggplant. And that is just what I did.
To make this dish I used my Chicken Parmesan recipe. I just substituted the zucchini for the chicken and I added an extra cup of mozzarella cheese and changed the cooking times.
When I served it to Richard he told me that he loved it. I told him it is usually made with eggplant. He said when he was growing up his mother never made eggplant like this. That she just breaded and fried it. OK then, I guess I might just get to try Eggplant Parmesan after all!

Zucchini Parmesan
2 medium size zucchini, cut into rounds
½ cup seasoned bread crumbs
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
½ teaspoon dried Italian seasonings
½ teaspoon garlic powder
1 egg, beaten
1 jar spaghetti sauce
2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided

Preheat oven to 350⁰. Lightly grease a medium baking sheet.
Cut zucchini into rounds

Pour egg into a shallow bowl. Place bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, Italian seasonings and garlic powder in a separate shallow bowl. Dip zucchini rounds into egg, then into bread crumb mixture.
Place coated zucchini onto the prepared baking sheet and bake in the oven for 10 minutes, turn over and bake for another 10 minutes.
Pour ½ of the spaghetti sauce in to a 9x13 inch baking dish. Place zucchini rounds on top of sauce, and cover with 1 cup mozzarella cheese

 then top with remaining sauce. Sprinkle the remaining cup of mozzarella cheese on top and return to oven for 20 minutes.


Pin It

2 comments:

Maureen said...

Simple, nutritious, tasty and lovely to look at. Perfect!

Anonymous said...

O anything like this I am making this time around to warm me up from inside.looks so tasty:)