Monday, May 30, 2011

Whoopie Pies

While I was waiting at the doctors the other day I was looking through a few magazines when I came across this recipe in Family Circle. Will instead of writing down the recipe, because I didn’t think I had enough time and because the receptionist was busy I took a picture of the recipe with my new cell phone. I told Richard who was sitting nearby that I felt like a spy sneaking around taking photos of private documents. Will the document is not so private any more.

I did rewrite the instructions for the recipe just a little because I thought they were a little long and I almost forgot the water in the recipe because it was written in the instructions and not listed in the ingredients. So I listed it there. I also double the filling ingredients, because I didn’t think there would be enough, because I love butter cream frosting. And make sure you leave enough space between the dough on the cookie sheets because it will spread out while baking.
The whoopie pies turn out like Ariel said “YUMMY I like eating the crunchy outsides first!”

Whoopie Pies

1 box devil’s food cake mix
3 eggs
½ cup vegetable oil
½ teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoons water

Filling
1 cup butter, softened
4 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoon water

Preheat oven to 350⁰F. Coat cookie sheets with cooking spray.

Cakes: In a large bowl combine cake mix, eggs, oil, 3 tablespoons water and baking powder. Beat on low for 30 seconds then on medium speed for 2 minutes batter will be thick. Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls onto prepared sheets spacing about 2 inches apart for a total of 36 mounds.

Bake at 350⁰for 12 minutes let cookies stand on sheets for 2 minutes than use a thin metal spatula to quickly transfer cakes to wire rack to cool. Repeat with remaining batter.

While cakes are cooling prepare filling.

In medium bowl size bowl beat butter until smooth. Add confectioner sugar, vanilla and 2 tablespoons water. Beat on low speed until blended then increase speed to med high and beat until smooth. Spread a heaping tablespoon filling onto cake. Sandwich with a second cake. Repeat.Pin It

No comments: