Saturday, January 1, 2011

Hoppin’ John Soup

Happy New Year! Having black eyed peas on New Year’s Day is suppose to bring you luck for the coming year. I remember eating black eyed peas when I was young, counting each pea because my parents told me for each one that I would eat I would make that much money that year. It is funny how little traditions like that keep getting passed down from one generation to another.


I don’t make black eyed peas that often, that because Richard doesn’t like them that’s because he says that they taste like dirt. So this year I wanted to make something different that I know he will love. I was thinking about making Hoppin’ John but I wanted to make a soup. So why not turn it in to my version of a Hoppin’ John soup. And if I do say so myself; it turn out very tasty. Maybe this dish will now become a new family tradition.
Hoppin’ John Soup

1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons oil
1( 16oz.) bag frozen black eyed peas
15 oz can diced tomatoes
2 medium carrots, sliced
2 cups ham, cubed
6 cups water
2 chicken bouillon cubes
½ teaspoon Cajun seasoning
½ teaspoon pepper
Salt to taste
½ cup long grain rice

In large stock pot heat oil over medium heat; add diced onion and minced garlic and cook until onions are tender. Add black eyed peas, can tomatoes, carrots, ham, water, bouillon cubes, Cajun seasoning, pepper and salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 1 hour. Add rice and simmer 30 more minutes.Pin It

No comments: