Friday, December 10, 2010

Sweet Potato Soufflé

This is the only way that my daughter Brandy will eat sweet potatoes. She has been asking me to post this recipe for some time. She says that if I don’t hurry up and post it on my blog that she is going to post it on her blog first.

Sometimes a great recipe can come at a sad time in your life. That is how I acquired this recipe many years ago. I went back east to my dad’s funeral. He died suddenly from a heart attack over ten years ago. The day of the funeral the ladies of the church provided lunch for the family, and this was one of the dishes. I loved it so much I knew that I just had to have the recipe. My stepmom Gen gave me a cookbook that many of the church ladies had provided the recipes for and this recipe was in there.
Even though it was a sad day that I first tasted this dish, I have since then served it at many happy days in my life.

Sweet Potato Soufflé
3 cups cooked, mashed sweet potatoes
½ cup butter, melted
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
½ cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ teaspoon salt
Topping
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1 cup pecans, chopped
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup butter, melted

In large bowl mix together sweet potatoes, butter, sugar, eggs, milk, vanilla and salt. Pour into a greased casserole dish. Set aside.
In a medium bowl mix together brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, pecans and butter until well combined. Sprinkle over sweet potato mixture. Bake at 375⁰ for 30 to 35 minutes.Pin It

2 comments:

Brandy said...

I love this stuff. Now I can post it on my blog :)

Elisabeth said...

Hi Stefanie-Haven't visited with your blog, in a while! Hope you had a wonderful, and joyous Christmas!
Your sweet potatoe souffle looks so elegant and yummy, and on your previous post, the sweet potato bread looks "to die for" beautiful and so moist...such a perfection!
Wishing you and your loved ones, a safe, blessed, healthy, and
HAPPY NEW YEAR!