Saturday, November 6, 2010

Macaroon Cake

My husband Richard signed up last week to bring dessert for this week’s bible study. I asked him what he wanted to bring, he said someone brought a cobbler like thing this past week and something like that would be good. Ok so you want me to make a cobbler? I said. Either that or maybe a cake. He replied. So I went looking through my recipes for something that I haven’t made in awhile for something that wasn’t already on my blog. I decided on this great recipe, I don’t remember where this recipe came from, but I do know that I have been making it for over 10 years.

If you love the taste of coconut and chocolate together then you will love this cake.
Macaroon Cake
2 egg whites (save the yolks for later)
Pinch salt
1/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 ¾ cups flaked coconut
1 box chocolate cake mix
1 small box chocolate instance pudding mix
2 eggs
1¼ cups water
1/3 cups oil

Beat egg whites with salt until foamy. Gradually add sugar and continue beating until mixture forms stiff peaks. Blend in flour and coconut.

Combine cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, plus saved yolks, water and oil in a large bowl. Blend together then beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour 1/3 of the batter into greased and floured Bundt pan. Spoon coconut mixture around center of batter in pan being careful not to touch sides of pan. Top with remaining cake batter.

Bake at 350⁰ for 50 to 55 minutes. Remove to wire rack and cool completely. Frost cake with your favorite frosting or glaze.

Satiny Chocolate Glaze
¾ cup semisweet chocolate chips
3 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
¼ teaspoon vanilla

In a double boiler over hot, but not boiling water, combine chocolate chips, butter and corn syrup. Stir until chips are melted and mixture is smooth, and then add vanilla. Spread warm glaze over top of cake letting it drizzle down the sides.
Pin It

10 comments:

Diana's Cocina said...

You have no idea how much I am drooling right now. As soon as I saw the chocolate I was hooked. Then you added coconut and I was a gonner.

Brandy said...

I love this cake :)

PratosdaBela said...

Hummmmmmmmmm
The best...
Kisses

stephanie said...

Yum! Thanks for sharing - it looks super moist.

Elisabeth said...

This cake is really super rich, and creamy. I love the coconut macaroon filling, and the satiny glaze. Superb!

Lindsay said...

I bet if you were to add roasted whole almonds to the coconut center, it would taste like an almond joy...will definitely be trying this!!

pebbles46 said...

I use to love the choc macaroon cake mix you could buy when we were younger. Cant wait to try this just got all the ingredients and about to give it a whirl. So looking forward to it

Gail (nauticalady) said...

Love this cake...It is the favourite of one of my daughters. I was so happy to see that you have put your recipe up for it. I love the ingredients and some added that isn't in other recipes. I certainly going to give it a go because I know it is going to be the best yet I made. My daughter's birthday is Aug. 10th (oops, only a few days away. Though she is in her 40's, chocolate cake is still her favourite, but just a tunnel cake like this. Thanks so much for ALL YOUR RECIPES. I'm 77+ and still love newer takes on recipes to try.

Unknown said...

This is by far the BEST cake my family has every enjoyed! The rich chocolate is so most, the macaroon filling is delectable and the glaze is so smooth and silky. I've been making this quite a bit and always get raves about it. Thank you so much for this recipe!

Anonymous said...

Where is how to on coconut mixture ?