Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Hamburger Dill Pickles

Canning your own food is making a comeback! It not as hard as you think it is, most cookbooks come with a canning section, or you buy yourself a book on canning there are many on the market. I have also found many web-sites on the subject of canning. This recipe came from my newest canning cookbook You Can Can.

These pickles are not just for hamburgers, as you can see I like to eat dill pickles with my grilled cheese sandwiches.

Hamburger Dill Pickles
3 pounds 4-inch pickling cucumbers (about 36)
3 cups water
3 cups white vinegar
¼ cup pickling salt
¼ cup sugar
6 to 9 heads fresh dill or 6 tablespoons dill seeds

Thoroughly rinse cucumbers. Remove stems and slice into 1/4-inch slices; set aside. In a large stainless steel, enameled, or nonstick saucepan combine water, vinegar, pickling salt, and sugar. Bring to boiling.
Pack sliced cucumbers loosely into hot, sterilized pint canning jars, leaving a ½-inch headspace. Add 2 to 3 heads of dill or 1 tablespoon dill seeds to each jar. Pour hot vinegar mixture over cucumbers, leaving a ½-ich headspace. Discard any remaining hot vinegar mixture. Whip jar rims; adjust lids. Process in a boiling-water canner for 10 minutes (begin timing when water returns to boiling). Remove jars; cool on racks. Let stand for one week to develop flavors before serving. Makes 6 pintsPin It

1 comment:

Barry said...

No matter that I start by asking for a low temperature process hamburger dill slices recipe, when I chase round the links it ALWAYS decides to eliminate either the low temp process or slices part.
I keep ruining the pickles because with the regular process it overcooks the pickles and I simply dislike chunky pickles unless they are sweet. I ONLY want the hamburger dill slices.
I know people seem to assume I'm knowledgeable enough to adjust the recipe but I am EXTREMELY literal and follow the recipes to the letter.
Could you give me a recipe PRECISELY using the low temperature method and for ONLY hamburger dill SLICES?