Thursday, September 23, 2010

Sweet Pickle Relish

This is the first time that I have made relish. I found this recipe in the Better Homes and Garden You Can Can cookbook. I used my food processor instead of chopping the vegetables by hand this made for a finer copped relish.
 A better name for this relish should be; The Disappearing Hotdog Relish or better yet “What happen to my hotdog”. Everyone knows that I’m not a big fan of hotdogs, I usually have to eat them with chili and cheese and I will only eat one, but not with this relish. The first time I put this relish on my hotdog I ate it so fast I didn’t realize what happen to it so I had to eat another one; and had to stop myself from eating a third!




Sweet Pickle Relish
6 medium un-waxed cucumbers
3 green and / or red sweet peppers
6 medium onions
¼ cup pickling salt
3 cups sugar
2 cups cider vinegar
2 ½ teaspoons celery seeds
2 ½ teaspoons mustard seeds
½ teaspoon turmeric
Wash cucumbers and peppers. Chop; discard pepper stems, membranes, and seeds. If desired, seed cucumbers. Measure 6 cups cucumber and 3 cups sweet peppers. Peel and chop onions; measure 3 cups chopped onions. Combine vegetable in a large bowl. Sprinkle with pickling salt; add cold water to cover. Let stand, covered, at room temperature for 2 hours.

Pour vegetable mixture into colander set in sink. Rinse with fresh water and drain well.

In a 4-quart kettle or pot combine sugar, vinegar, celery seeds, mustard seeds, and turmeric. Heat to boiling. Add drained vegetable mixture; return to boiling. Cook, uncovered, over medium-high heat about 10 minutes or until most of the excess liquid has evaporated, stirring occasionally.

Ladle relish into hot, sterilized half-pint canning jars, leaving a ½-inch headspace. Whipe the jar rim; adjust lids. Process filled jars in a boiling-water canner 10 minutes (start timing when water returns to boil). Remove the jars from canner; cool on wire racks.Pin It

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is an old post so I hope you're still following!!!

This recipe sounds awesome and I think I will give it a whirl. :)

How much volume do you end up with - so I know how many jars I need to prep!

Thank you!!

Anonymous said...

This is an old post so I hope you're still following!!!

This recipe sounds awesome and I think I will give it a whirl. :)

How much volume do you end up with - so I know how many jars I need to prep!

Thank you!!