Thursday, September 30, 2010

Strawberry Syrup

Good thing this syrup taste so good, I could have made a lot of jam with that much fruit! This is my third recipe that I have done from my new cookbook on canning You Can Can. This syrup taste so good on pancakes and waffles, I have had it on both, now I need to buy some vanilla ice-cream so I can give it a try that way to.


Strawberry Syrup
12 cups strawberries
2 cups water
3 cups sugar

Wash berries; remove green caps. Place about half the berries in a large kettle. Use slotted spoon or potato masher to crush berries in the kettle; add remaining berries and crush again. Add water. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cook, uncovered, over low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Line a strainer or colander with a double layer of cheese sloth; set over a bowl. Pour mixture into strainer. Press to drain all juice. Discard berry pulp. Measure 6 cups juice.
In a 3- or 4-quart saucepan or kettle heat the juice to a rolling boil; stir in the sugar. Continue boiling about 30 minutes or until mixture is slightly thickened, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
Pour syrup into hot, sterilized half-pint canning jars, leaving a ¼-inch headspace. Wipe jar rims; adjust lids. Process filled jars in boiling-water canner for 5 minutes (start timing when water returns to boil). Remove jars from canner; cool on wire racks. Makes 4 half-pints.

Pin It

3 comments:

Brandy said...

YUmmmmmmm!!!!!I want some :(

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lollicup store said...

Great post about the Strawberry Syrup and Good thing this syrup taste so good, I could have made a lot of jam with that much fruit! This is my third recipe that I have done from my new cookbook on canning You Can Can. This syrup taste so good on pancakes and waffles, I have had it on both, now I need to buy some vanilla ice-cream so I can give it a try that way to.