Sunday, August 29, 2010

My Favorite Oatmeal Cookies

I believe that this has got to be the best oatmeal cookie recipe that I have ever tried. I found this recipe on the back of a store brand box of oatmeal many years ago, I don’t remember what store I bought it from, and so I can’t give credit where credit is due. I have made many different variation of the cookie recipe over the years such as I have used ½ shorting and ½ butter instead of 1 cup of the shorting and I have use dried cranberries or chocolate chips instead of the raisins, I have also add nuts to the dough when I felt in the mood that usually was when Ariel wasn’t around because she doesn’t like nuts in her food. Or any combination that you would like, the cookie base remains the same. Today I used golden raisins because I had some left over from when I made the Curry Chicken. I can’t decide which way I like this cookie best, all I know is that I just love this oatmeal cookie recipe.


My Favorite Oatmeal Cookies
1 cup vegetable shorting
1 cup sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1½ cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 cups quick cooking oatmeal
1 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 350⁰F. Lightly grease cookie sheet.
Beat shorting and sugars until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well. Combine flour, baking soda. Add to shorting mixture; mix well; stir in oat, and raisins; mix well. Shape into 1-inch balls. Place 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheet. Flatten slightly with fork. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 1 minute before removing to racks to cool.

Variations: Instead of raisins stir in 1 cup of the following with the oats; semi-sweet chocolate chips, chopped walnuts or dried cranberries.Pin It

1 comment:

Brandy said...

I think I want to make some now.