Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie

What a great combination! I have heard of rhubarb throughout my life but I have never tried it until a few years ago. I never wanted to give a try because I didn’t like the name rhubarb, it just didn’t sound good. And when I finally got to see what it looked like I really didn’t want to try it. Do you ever wonder what possessed the person who first saw this red celery like plant and said “Yum that looks good, let’s eat!” Will a few years ago I gave in and made a pie and you know what I liked it. So today when I came home I decided to make another. After all it is the first of two strawberry seasons here in California, one in the spring and one at the end of summer. And like I have mention in the past we do have the best strawberries in the world.


Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie

1 box refrigerated pie crust
2 cups sliced rhubarb
3 cups sliced strawberries
1 cup sugar
½ cup flour
2 tablespoons butter, cut up
2 teaspoon milk
1 teaspoon sugar

Preheat oven to 400⁰F.

In large mixing bowl combine rhubarb, strawberries, 1 cup sugar and ½ cup flour; set aside.

Place one of the crusts into ungreased 9-inch pie plate pressing crust into and up the sides of the pie plate; Pour strawberry-rhubarb mixture on top of crust in pie plate. Scatter cut-up butter on top of filling. Place second pie crust over top of filling. Tucking edges under. Press edges together to seal. Cut slits in top of crust. Brush top of pie with milk; sprinkle with 1 teaspoon sugar.

Bake on cookie sheet for 50 minutes. Cover edges with tinfoil to prevent over browning.

Allow to cool before serving.Pin It

No comments: