Saturday, February 6, 2010

Cowboy Caviar

The first time I heard of this dish was at a Taste of Home cooking show, over ten years ago. Since then I have seen many version of this recipe. I made this for a Pampered Chef party that I had the other night and it was a huge hit. Don’t be afraid of the amount of jalapeno pepper that the recipe calls for; trust me the flavors of the other ingredients balance at the spiciness of the jalapeno. And please don’t forget to allow the time for the flavors to blend this dish gets better with age.

Besides the two great dishes that the Pampered Chef demonstrator prepared I also served at my party Hot Spinach Artichoke Dip, Pimentos Cheese Pinwheels, Mini Carrot Cake Cups and Strawberry Lemon Aid. I will be posting the other recipes over the next couple of days, be sure to come back and check, you will be glad that you did.

Cowboy Caviar
1 (15 oz.) can black-eyed peas; drained
1 (15 oz.) can black beans; drained and rinsed
2 cups frozen corn
1 red onion, diced
1 can Rotel diced tomatoes
1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes
1 (4 oz.) can diced jalapeno peppers
1 tablespoon dried cilantro
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 cup fat-free Italian salad dressing

Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl. Cover, and refrigerate 24 hours to allow the flavors to blend. Serve with tortilla chips.

Pin It

3 comments:

Sook said...

Oh this looks fantastic. I love all the ingredients in this recipe so I'm sure I'll love it. :)

Jenny said...

I love this recipe. And the lasagna soup looks good, too. Thank you.

Heidi said...

I love this stuff! I love it with tortilla chips