Saturday, January 30, 2010

Honey Bun Cake

I have had this recipe in my collection for years, I don’t even remember where I got it, and all I know is that it is a keeper. The recipe does live up to its name it does tastes just like a honey bun. I was asked if I would bring a coffee cake to the Swap Until You Drop at my church, now here comes the hard decision which one should I bring, should I bake a cake to impress or should I go simple. Simple won out, simple is always best.

Now you are probably wondering what is a Swap Until you Drop. Let me try to explain the best way that I can. We had to bring 1 to 5 items that we no longer needed, use or want. We were giving clothes pins with our names on them; we then had to place our clothes pins on items that we wanted to take home. Hopefully no one else would put their clothes pin on the same item that you wanted; if they did there was a drawing to see who won that item.
I know you are going to enjoy this cake just as much as the ladies did this morning.
Honey Bun Cake
1 box yellow cake mix
¾ cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
1 (8oz) container sour cream
1 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
4 tablespoons milk
1teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 325⁰. In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, oil, eggs and sour cream  mix on medium speed for 2 minutes.
Pour half the batter into greased 9x13 inch baking pan.
Combine brown sugar and cinnamon, and sprinkle over the batter in the cake pan.
 Spoon the other half of the batter into the cake pan, covering the brown sugar and cinnamon.
Twirl the cake batter with a butter knife until it looks like a honey bun.
 Bake for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center of the cake comes out clean. Frost the cake while it is still hot. Serve warm.
To make frosting: In a small bowl, whisk the confectioners’ sugar, milk and the vanilla until smooth.



Pin It

5 comments:

Heidi said...

YUM!!! We love honey buns. I can't wait to try this one out! I wish I picked up a cake mix yesterday at the grocery store.

Anonymous said...

I just happened upon your blog. Wow... are we related? We cook and bake so similar.

Kay Little said...

Hi Stefanie ~ Thank you for the follow...I am enjoying your blog! I am definitely going to put this recipe on my to make list...blessings, K

Sophie said...

This would be so yummy with tea, for breakfast in the morning! Scrumptious!

Mary Ellen said...

ok, so I'm stoked to try this recipe. Is it 4 eggs? Maybe I'm just an idiot, but I couldn't find how many eggs. You have tons of stuff I want to try. Like the waffle french toast, and the cream cheese brownies..... so excited!!!