Friday, January 29, 2010

Pimento Cheese

Check out my new toy, I got it for my birthday; I’m such a kitchen gadget freak. I love getting new toys to play with. Now what to make first with my new toy. I was looking through the owner’s manual and found a recipe for Pimentos Cheese.


Pimento cheese, it has to be a southern thing, back east in North Carolina you can buy pimento cheese in big cartons right next to all the lunch meats and sandwich cheeses. When I was growing up back east I remember it didn’t cost a lot for a 16 ounce carton. Now out here in California if you want to buy pimento and cheese you have to go to the gourmet cheese section in the grocery store, you heard me right California’s think that pimento cheese as a gourmet food and it sell here $4 for a tiny little carton, it’s about enough for two little sandwiches.
I remember as a little girl I would go with my stepmom and her sisters to baby showers, birthday parties and Tupperware parties where many little sandwiches would be served cut into little triangles, circles, hearts or whatever little shapes the hostess could think of. Oh how I loved eating those little sandwiches when I was a little girl, and I know you are going to enjoy this simple recipe for Pimento cheese.
Pimento Cheese
1 pound block medium sharp cheddar cheese
1 ½ cups mayonnaise
1 (4 oz.) jar sliced pimentos, chopped
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
In a large bowl grate the block of cheddar cheese; add mayonnaise, chopped pimentos, salt and pepper;
mix together thoroughly with a spatula. Place bowl in the refrigerator and allow the flavors to mellow together, about 30 minutes.
Pin It

No comments: