Sunday, January 24, 2010

Beef Enchiladas

This is my daughter Ariel’s favorite enchilada recipe. I found the recipe for the Red Enchilada Sauce in a fund raiser cookbook that my mother in-law Sharon gave me. I tweaked it just a little. I use the sauce in a few of my other recipes like Mexican Lasagna and Chicken Enchiladas that I will be posting the next time that I make them. Serve them with Easy Spanish Rice.

Beef Enchiladas
1 pound ground beef
8 flour tortilla (soft taco size)
Red Enchilada Sauce (recipe follows)
3 cups cheddar cheese; grated

Preheat oven to 350⁰F. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.

Prepare enchilada sauce; set aside.

In a large skillet over medium-high heat brown ground beef; drain. Add 1 cup enchilada sauce stirring until heated thoroughly.
Spread about 1 cup sauce in the bottom of prepared baking dish.

In a microwave oven warm tortilla for 30 to 60 seconds. Spoon about 1/3 cup beef filling in center of each tortilla top with 1 tablespoon grated cheddar cheese;

starting from any end roll up and place in baking dish; repeat with remaining tortilla.

Pour remaining sauce over rolled up tortilla in baking dish;

 top with remaining cheese.

Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.

Red Enchilada Sauce
2 small cans tomato sauce
3 cups water
4 tablespoon flour
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoon chili powder

In a saucepan, combine tomato sauce, water, flour, and garlic, onion and chili powders. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture boils and thickens. Remove from heat.


Pin It

2 comments:

Sook said...

I've never tried to make my own enchilada sauce before! So I'm really excited about your sauce recipe. Thanks!

Reeni said...

This looks excellent! I'm so impressed that you made your own red sauce. How delicious! I found you from the foodie blogroll - you have some really yummy recipes!