Sunday, January 24, 2010

Beef Enchiladas

This is my daughter Ariel’s favorite enchilada recipe. I found the recipe for the Red Enchilada Sauce in a fund raiser cookbook that my mother in-law Sharon gave me. I tweaked it just a little. I use the sauce in a few of my other recipes like Mexican Lasagna and Chicken Enchiladas that I will be posting the next time that I make them. Serve them with Easy Spanish Rice.

Beef Enchiladas
1 pound ground beef
8 flour tortilla (soft taco size)
Red Enchilada Sauce (recipe follows)
3 cups cheddar cheese; grated

Preheat oven to 350⁰F. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.

Prepare enchilada sauce; set aside.

In a large skillet over medium-high heat brown ground beef; drain. Add 1 cup enchilada sauce stirring until heated thoroughly.
Spread about 1 cup sauce in the bottom of prepared baking dish.

In a microwave oven warm tortilla for 30 to 60 seconds. Spoon about 1/3 cup beef filling in center of each tortilla top with 1 tablespoon grated cheddar cheese;

starting from any end roll up and place in baking dish; repeat with remaining tortilla.

Pour remaining sauce over rolled up tortilla in baking dish;

 top with remaining cheese.

Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.

Red Enchilada Sauce
2 small cans tomato sauce
3 cups water
4 tablespoon flour
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoon chili powder

In a saucepan, combine tomato sauce, water, flour, and garlic, onion and chili powders. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture boils and thickens. Remove from heat.


Pin It

2 comments:

Sook said...

I've never tried to make my own enchilada sauce before! So I'm really excited about your sauce recipe. Thanks!

Cinnamon-Girl♥ said...

This looks excellent! I'm so impressed that you made your own red sauce. How delicious! I found you from the foodie blogroll - you have some really yummy recipes!