Friday, December 25, 2009

Upside-Down Apple french Toast

This recipe has now become a family tradition; I make it every Christmas morning. I acquired this recipe at a Walk to Emmaus. I know that most of you are wondering what is a Walk to Emmaus; I sitting here wonder how to describe something that is a little indescribable, I asked Richard to describe the Emmaus he said” it’s um, um”. I said “it’s not a retreat so what is it”. So the best I can come up with it’s a mountain top experience with God, and that is saying very little. You find the story in Luke 24:13-35. While I was on the walk they served this amazing dish for breakfast one morning, I just had to have the recipe, I now make it every year for Christmas. This dish looks wonderful and delicious with the apples, raisins and caramel sauce oozing down. This Christmas instead of raisins I used dried cranberries (Craisins) to give the dish a little more Christmas taste.





Upside-Down Apple French Toast

Prepare the night before or at least 3 hours in advance.

½ cup (1 stick) butter
1 ¼ cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon water
3 Granny Smith apples
Cinnamon, to taste
½ cup raisins, optional
1 loaf French bread, sliced 1 ½ inch thick
1½ cups milk
6 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
Nutmeg to taste


Combine butter, brown sugar and water in a saucepan; heat on medium until bubbling, stirring frequently. Place in a 9x13-inch pan and allow to cool for 20-30 minutes. Peel, core and slice apples. Place the slices in rows; close together (overlapping), on top of the sauce in pan.


 Sprinkle with cinnamon and raisins. Place the slices of bread on top of apples. Mix together the milk, eggs and vanilla. Pour over bread. Sprinkle with a little nutmeg. Cover and refrigerate overnight.




Bake at 350⁰F for approximately 60 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy on top.



Flip over onto a serving dish.  Serve upside-down. Spoon the sauce in the pan over French toast. Serve with whipped cream.


Pin It

1 comment:

Tricia @ Recipe Roundup said...

Wow, this looks amazing! I can't wait to try it! Thanks for visitng my blog (Recipe Roundup). Love your recipes....I am now a follower!