Friday, June 24, 2011

Crock-Pot Chili Verde


Chili Verde happens to be my favorite Mexican dish. There are a few local restaurants that this is the only dish that Richard and I order. I have made this dish a few times but I had never written down a recipe for it.
I know that to make this dish the traditional way I would roast tomatillo and then blend them with peppers and onions and a few other ingredients to make Verde salsa. But it’s easier and less time consuming to just buy the can Verde salsa.
This is the first time that I used the slow-cooker to make this recipe I usually prepare it on the stove and let it simmer for a few hours until the pork is tender and the sauce thickens. But this time because I used the slow-cooker and they usually produce a lot of moisture I had to add a little corn starch to help thicken the sauce. I serve it with Easy Spanish Rice and warm tortilla.
Crock-Pot Chili Verde
2 pounds pork shoulder, cubed
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 (7oz.) cans Verde salsa
1(14.5oz.) can chicken broth
2 chicken bouillon cubes
1 to 2 tablespoons corn starch (optional)

Sprinkle salt and pepper over cubed pork. In a large skillet, brown pork in oil in small batches.  After browning each batch; place in slow-cooker. In same skill sauté onion and garlic until onion are tender; add to slow cooker. Add Verde salsa, chicken broth and bouillon cubes to slow-cooker. Cook on low for 5 hours. If needed add the corn starch blended with a little water to thicken the Verde sauce, cook on high without the lid for an additional 45 to 60 minutes.Pin It

No comments: