Sunday, May 15, 2011

Banana Pudding


I love banana pudding I don’t make it that often because I could eat the whole dish. This dessert can take a little time to prepare but it is so worth it, what could be a better combination that cookies, pudding and bananas.

This pudding is very popular in the south. I remember my Grandma Whitley making it sometimes for dessert for Sunday dinner. One time she even replaced the bananas with crushed pineapple and the vanilla wafers with butter cookies. Now that was a great pudding.

Banana Pudding
½ cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
¼ teaspoon salt
3 egg, yolks (save the whites for later)
2 cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 box vanilla wafers
4 to 5 bananas, sliced
3 egg whites
½ teaspoon vanilla
3 tablespoons sugar

In a medium saucepan; mix together ½ sugar, flour, salt, egg yolks, and milk. Stirring constantly, heat over medium heat until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
Line the bottom and the sides of a small baking dish with vanilla wafers; add a layer of sliced bananas and then a layer of custard; repeat layers.
In a large mixing bowl beat egg whites and vanilla on high speed until soft peaks form; gradually add remaining sugar 1 tablespoon at a time until stiff peaks form. Spread over custard, sealing edges of pan.
Bake in a 425⁰F oven for 5 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Can be served warm or chilled.

Pin It

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious! Definitely will try this today. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

this is the closest recipe i can find to my grandmas banana pudding. the best ive had in years.

Anonymous said...

This looks delicious! I'm gonna try it soon.

Mrs.I said...

Can I double this recipe? Or will it affect it.

Anonymous said...

HELLO WHAT KIND OF MILK DO YOU USE FOR THE BANANA PUDDING

Unknown said...

Just like my moms it’s so good

Anonymous said...

I love this classic recipe. I always triple it. 6 cups milk. 9 egg yolks ect ect. This is a good old fashioned banana pudding recipe. Thank you.