Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Cheese Burger Soup

I know that I haven’t been posting any recipes lately. I really haven’t been cooking that much. When I do I just take a picture and eat the dish, I just never seem to be in the mood to post them. I now have a folder full of pictures of food and I have most of the recipes written down and unfortunately I have also lost a few of them. I guess I will have to try and prepare them again, but that will come in due time. Who knows; when I never seem to make the same dish the same way twice? I am always changing things and adding new things. That is just the way I cook.

The first time that I heard of this soup was from my friend Lupe at work. She asked me if I knew how to make it, because it was her husband Brian’s favorite soup that a local restaurant serves. I told her no but I will look into it. I went to lunch at this restaurant one day and they happen to be serving the soup so I had to give it a try. It was a little bland to me. I looked at a few sites on the net but that was as far as it went. And then last night I was looking through my email when I came across the one from Taste of Home. I went to their site to check out the feature recipe that they sent me, and did a little looking around. That’s when I found this recipe, and by the ingredients listed it sounded that it would be good, so of course I had to give it a try. And of course I changed it up a little to suit my need s and to give it a little more flavor. It turned out great and Richard had two bowls. I will be making this soup again.



Cheese Burger Soup
½ pound ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup diced carrots
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried parsley
4 tablespoons butter, divided
4 cups water
3 chicken bouillon cubes
4 cups diced peeled potatoes
¼ cup all-purpose flour
2 cups (8oz.) process cheese (Velveeta)
1½ cups milk
½ teaspoon pepper
¼ cup sour cream
In a large stock pot, brown ground beef; drain and set aside. In the same pot sauté onion, carrots, basil and parsley in 1 tablespoon butter until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Add water bouillon cubes potatoes and beef; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

Meanwhile in a small sauce pan, melt remaining butter. Add flour; cook and stir for 3-5 minutes or until bubbly. Add to soup; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Add cheese, milk and pepper; cook and stir until cheese melts. Remove from the heat; blend in sour cream.Pin It

No comments: