Monday, October 25, 2010

Pinto Beans & Rice

I grew up eating bowls of pinto beans as a child; pinto beans are and I believe will always be a cheap meal to feed your family. I never knew that it was so inexpensive to make as a child all I knew was I loved eating them. But the way my dad would prepare them never tasted as good as this recipe.


I found this recipe a few years ago on the internet; but I don’t remember when or where; I changed it just a little by adding chicken bouillon and crushed red pepper; I also sautéed the onions and garlic in a little oil to bring out their flavors before adding the water and beans. I believe that this adds more flavor to the dish.
This recipe can also be prepared in a crock-pot; just combined all the ingredients in a crock-pot and cook on low for 8 hours.
Pinto Beans & Rice
1 pound dried pinto beans, soaked overnight & drained
1 teaspoon oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
6 cup water
1 ham hock
1 pound smoked sausage, sliced
1 (16oz.) can tomatoes
1 (4oz.) can diced green chilies
1 teaspoon granulated chicken bouillon
1 ½ teaspoons salt
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper

White rice, cooked

In a large soup pot sauté onions and garlic in oil over medium heat; add beans, water and ham hock; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium and cook 45 minutes, add remaining ingredients; cover and reduce heat and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Remove ham hock and shred ham from bone with a fork. Return ham to pot. Serve over rice.Pin It

1 comment:

Rich said...

Thank you for posting something practical yet still awesome. Beans and rice is one of my favorite meals, and I'm always looking for a new version - this fits the bill to a tee!