Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Herb Roasted Chicken with Pan Gravy

I once had a co-worker ask me how to roast a chicken, will this is one way that I do it. You can serve it with or without the gravy. I hope I explained well enough how to make the gravy, I like to use the same pan to make my gravy in that I used to cook my chickens or turkeys in, that’s because I like to use all the brown bits that stick to the bottom of the roasting pan; this make the best gravy.


If you have never roasted a whole chicken before you need to give it a try, it’s easier than you think, not to mention how impressive it look to serve a whole chicken to you family and friends.

 

Herb Roasted Chicken with Pan Gravy
3 to 3 ½ pound whole chicken
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
Gravy
Pan drippings
2 cups chicken broth
¼ cup flour

Preheat oven to 350⁰F.

Rinse chicken inside and out; pat dry with paper towels. Place chicken breast side up in a shallow roasting pan. Tuck wings under chicken back; brush chicken with oil. In a small dish combine poultry seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper; rub seasoning mixture over chicken.
Roast in oven uncovered for 1 ½ to 1 ¾ minutes or until meat thermometer inserted in thigh reaches 180⁰F. Remove from oven cover with foil and allow chicken to sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Pour pan drippings from chicken into a gravy separator or into a glass measuring cup; skim off fat. Pour dripping into a medium sauce pan or back into the roasting pan, ( use the roasting pan if it is also stove top safe). In a medium bowl mix together 2 cups chicken broth with ¼ cup flour whisking until smooth; add to drippings in sauce pan. Cook stirring constantly over medium heat until thick and creamy about 5 minutes; salt and pepper to taste. Serve with chicken.

Pin It