Sunday, July 4, 2010

S’mores Bars

What a great and easy dessert to serve on the 4th of July! I have very fond memories of making S’mores on family camping trips. My two girls Brandy and Ariel loved s’mores so much that they would make them in the microwave at home, I have even caught them browning their marshmallows over the burners on the stove, and they would also start the grill when I wasn’t home. I guess you could say that my girls had a SMALL obsession with s’mores growing up!

I love finding new recipes on the back of boxes and packages. That is where I found this one, on the back of a box of Target brand graham crackers and I knew that I just had to make them, so I bought two boxes of graham crackers that day, one for the chocolate éclair dessert and the other for these bars.
The only thing different that I did was to add some chocolate chips, because I didn’t think that there was enough chocolate, because as far as I’m concerned you can never have enough chocolate.
They must have been a very big hit at my church’s barbeque because when I went to the dessert table the tray was empty!

S’mores Bars
12 (5x2 1/2 –inch) graham crackers
¾ cup butter
¾ cup brown sugar
3 cups miniature marshmallows
4 milk chocolate candy bars, broken into pieces
(1 cup chocolate chips)
Heat oven to 350⁰F. Line 15x10x1 inch jelly-roll pan with aluminum foil leaving a 1-inch overhang on ends; spray foil with cooking spray. Place graham crackers onto foil so that sides touch.

Melt butter and brown sugar in medium sauce pan over medium heat, stirring constantly, until smooth and mixture just comes to a boil, about 5 minutes. Pour evenly over crackers.

Bake 5 to 6 minutes or until bubbly.

Remove pan from oven; sprinkle with marshmallow and candy bar pieces. Continue baking until marshmallows begin to soften, about 2 to 3 minutes. Cool completely. Lift from pan using foil. Cut into bars.Pin It

2 comments:

Brandy said...

Oooooo!!!!! Those looks delicious :)

Unknown said...

Your recipe brings back happy memories of time spent around the campfire. Your S'mores look delicious!