Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Chicken Chili with Cheddar Cornbread Dumplings

The weather here and California has been so strange this year, it has been so cold and raining for the past two days, it seems like we are having a second winter this year. Because it has been so cold it has put me in the mood for chili. At work today I was looking through an old Better Homes and Garden magazine when I came across a recipe for chili with corn bread dumplings, I thought that it sounded so good and simple. So when I came home today I made up this chili recipe and I used their dumpling recipe I just changed it a little. This recipe is a keeper, it so hits the spot on this cold “second” winter day.


Chicken Chili with Cheddar Cornbread Dumplings
3 cups chopped cooked chicken breast
1 tablespoon oil
1 small onion, diced
1 (14oz.) can diced tomatoes
1(15oz.) can tomato sauce
1(4oz.) can diced green chilies
1 cup water
3 tablespoon chili powder
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon cumin powder
1(15 oz.) can red kidney beans
1 small box cornbread mix
1 egg
½ cup cheddar cheese, grated
1/3 cup water

In a Dutch oven sauté diced onion in oil over medium high heat until tender; add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, diced green chilies, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, kidney beans and cooked chicken breast. Bring to a boil.

In a small mixing bowl combine corn bread mix, egg, cheese and 1/3 cup water, drop by tablespoons into boiling chili, lower to a simmer; cover and cook without opening the lid for 15 minutes. Serve with extra grated cheddar cheese.Pin It

No comments: