Thursday, March 4, 2010

Simmered Chinese Chicken

I found this recipe on the back of a package of a Foster Farms chicken many years ago. I made a few changes over the years. The recipe called for the chicken to be cooked whole in a Dutch oven. I did this the first time I cooked the recipe, I find it easier to cut the chicken up into pieces before cooking. That way the pieces of chicken slowly simmer in the sauce taking on its flavor. This sauce has a tangy taste with a slight kick. I love to serve this saucy chicken over a bed of rice.


Simmered Chinese Chicken
1 whole chicken, cut-up
1 tablespoon oil
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup brown sugar
½ cup water
1 tablespoon catsup
¼ cup dry sherry
½ to ¾ teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons water

In a large skillet over medium high heat, brown chicken in oil.

In a small bowl mix together soy sauce, brown sugar, water, catsup, dry sherry, crushed red pepper and garlic. Pour mixture over chicken in skillet. Cover and simmer 30 to 45 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink, turning chicken occasionally.

Remove chicken to platter, Blend together cornstarch and water and stir into sauce in skillet. Stir sauce constantly until thickened. Serve sauce with chicken.Pin It

1 comment:

Katie said...

Oh, this sounds great! I made chinese style broccoli this week and it would go great with it. I will have to try it!