Monday, March 15, 2010

Fresh Grapefruit Cake

A couple of weeks ago my friend Mary gave me a bag of sweet potatoes and a bag of grapefruit. I kind of forgot that I had them; I put them in the bottom of my pantry when she gave them to me and it just slipped my mind. When I was looking through the pantry yesterday I saw the grapefruit and reminded Richard and Ariel that we needed to eat them. I started wondering what a grapefruit cake would taste like, now I have made an orange cake before but never a grapefruit cake. I took the basic Bundt cake recipe that I had and used the juice from the grapefruit instead of water and added the zest of one of the grapefruits. For the glaze I used the recipe I had for my Southern Comfort cake I just used the grapefruit juice instead of the liquor that it called for. For the whole cake and glaze I used six grapefruits and I still have quite a bit of fruit still in the bag. That is the great thing about living in California nearly everybody has a lemon, orange or grapefruit tree in their yard. And everybody is always giving away fresh fruit.


Fresh Grapefruit Cake
Cake
1 (18-1/2 oz.) package yellow cake mix
1 (3-3/4 oz.) package vanilla instant pudding mix
4 eggs
½ cup vegetable oil
1 cup fresh squeezed grapefruit juice
2 tablespoon grapefruit zest

Glaze
1 cup fresh squeezed grapefruit juice
¾ cup sugar
¼ cup butter

Preheat oven to 350⁰F.
In a large mixing bowl combine cake mix, pudding, eggs, oil, 1 cup grapefruit juice and zest. Beat at medium speed for 3 minutes. Pour batter into a prepared Bundt pan. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
Meanwhile in a small saucepan combine the ingredients for the glaze; 1cup grapefruit juice, sugar and butter. Bring to a boil; remove from heat.
After removing cake from oven immediately pour glaze over cake while still in the pan; allow to cool 10 minutes than invert the cake onto a serving platter.Pin It

No comments: