Saturday, February 13, 2010

Chicken alla Pizzaioli

The first time that I had heard of this dish was on the television show called Everybody Loves Raymond. At that time I was wondering what was it and how to make it. I tried to search for the recipe but over time I forgot about it. Then the other day I was looking over a few cooking blogs and came across Katy’s Kitchen and low and behold there it was. I just had to give it a try. The only thing that I did different from the recipe was that I added a clove of minced garlic and simmer uncovered for a few minutes to help thicken the sauce. I served it with a side of Orzo to which I added some sliced mushrooms that I had leftover from the pizzas that I made the other night. I am glad that I came across this dish, it is a keeper I will be adding this to my family cook book.


If you are wondering what is herbs de Provence, it is a seasoning blend of thyme, basil, rosemary, lavender and a few other spices. You can find it in the spice aisle at your grocery store. You can add this seasoning to soups, sauces, or marinades there is no limit to what you could add this seasoning to. So give it a try you will not regret it.

Chicken alla Pizzaioli
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Salt and pepper
2 T. olive oil
1 onion, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 can diced tomatoes
1 tsp. herbs de Provence
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes

Season the chicken with salt and pepper. In a skillet over medium high heat, add the olive oil and heat until the oil runs smoothly in the pan. Cook the chicken on each side until almost done. Remove the chicken to a plate and tent with foil and place in the microwave to keep warm. Add the onions to the pan and sauté until softened. Add the diced tomatoes and seasonings.

 Add the chicken back into the pan and reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes; uncover continue cooking until the sauce begins to thicken and the chicken is done.
Pin It

No comments: