Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Jam Bars

I have wanted to make apricot bars for some time now. I have never made them before. I knew that I wanted the bars to be simple and I wanted to use jam. So I went looking on the net, and found this recipe at Cooking with Amy. For the jam I used apricot pineapple. These bars are very good and I believe they will taste just as good with any jam you use.
Jam BarsMakes 16 squares

1 1/2 cups all purpose unbleached flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 egg
1 cup fruit jam or preserves (strawberry or cherry are good)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl. Cut in the butter, until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
 Stir in the egg to form crumbly dough.
Grease a 9-inch baking pan and press in 3/4 of the mixture onto the bottom of the pan.
 Top with jam and evenly spread almost but not quite to the edges of the pan since the jam will spread as it bakes.
 Top with the remaining crumb mixture.
 Transfer to oven and bake for 30 minutes or until pale golden brown.
 Let cool and cut into 16 squares.Pin It

1 comment:

Amy Sherman said...

Your bars look gorgeous! I am so glad you liked the recipe.