Saturday, April 21, 2012

Chicken Paprika with Pasta and Veggies


This recipe was adapted from one that I found on the Weight Watchers web-site.   I changed it up with the ingredient that I had on hand and also because I wanted a bigger portion then what the recipe called for, but with the same amount of points.
One of the biggest challenges that I have when I am trying to eat health is portion control. I know what a portion is or at least what it is suppose to be.  But sometime I want more than I am supposed to have, like when it comes to pasta. I love pasta, but a cup can look pretty small lying on your plate. That is why I found this recipe very intriguing. To bulk up the portion size of this recipe you add vegetables. Anything that gives me more food without all the points is ok by me.
The original recipe and mine both serve 6 with a point value of 9.

Chicken Paprika with Pasta and Veggies
2 pounds chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
1 large onion, chopped
1 (14oz) can diced tomatoes
1 cup fat-free chicken broth
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon paprika
8 oz. pasta, spaghetti broken into pieces
12 oz. bag of broccoli slaw mix
2 tablespoons flour
2 Tablespoon water
½ cup fat-free sour cream

In a large pot combine the chicken, onion, canned tomatoes, broth, salt and paprika, bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer about 30 to 40 minutes. In a small bowl mix together flour and the 2 tablespoons of water; set aside.
Meanwhile in another large cook pasta according to the package direction. Just before the pasta is done add broccoli slaw to pot and cook until pasta is done and the broccoli is tender. Drain.
When the chicken is done add flour mixture and simmer about 10 minutes or until liquid is thickened. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.


Pin It

1 comment:

Autism United said...

I have just the chicken wanting to be cooked up. Awesome recipe, thanks so much, will let you know what the judges (kids) think.