Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Cannelloni Florentine


The other day I bought a package of eggroll wrappers because I had another dish in mind; which I will be sharing in a few days. But let me tell you about how I came up with this dish.
In the package of eggroll wrappers there was a recipe for Cannelloni which is also called manicotti. The recipe sounded good but of course I wanted to do something different. I decided to use my own pasta sauce recipe and to use the ricotta filling that I use in my lasagna roll ups. I just realized that I have never shared that recipe with you. I guess that will have to wait for another day. But this filling is just like it the filing that I use in my roll ups.
Now if you think about it eggroll wrappers are made out of the same ingredients that they make pasta with. So why not use them just like pasta. And it was a lot easier to roll up my filling then to stuff the filling into the manicotti tubes.
They tasted so good that I will be making them again. Next time I think I will try a different filling and maybe a white cheese sauce.


CannellonI Florentinei

1 teaspoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 /2 cup diced onions
1 (15oz.) can tomato sauce
1 (15oz.) can diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon Italian seasonings
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 (10oz.) box chopped frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
2 cups ricotta cheese
¼ cup parmesan cheese
1 egg
2 cups mozzarella cheese, divided
12 large egg roll wrappers sheets

In a medium sauce pan sauté onions and garlic in oil. Add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning and brown sugar. Simmer for 20 minutes.

In a medium size bowl combine spinach, ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, ½ cup mozzarella cheese and egg.
Place ¼ cup of spinach mixture onto one egg roll wrapper roll up from end to end.


Place into a greased 13x9 inch baking dish; repeat with remaining wrappers.


Pour tomato sauce over rolled pasta. Cover and bake at 350F for 40 minutes. Uncover and, sprinkle remaining cheese over top. Return to oven; bake until cheese melts 5-7 minutes.


Pin It

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Numero Uno.
Oh I love pasta.Great filling you have chosen here.Looks really tasty:)

Maureen said...

This looks so good!! I want to try it. Well done!