Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Old Fashioned Pumpkin Cookies

Happy belated Pumpkin Day! October 26TH happened to have been national pumpkin day and national pretzel day; if you look up food holidays on the web, you will find that every day is a food holiday. For a person like me, who happens to love to eat and bake that gives me a reason to celebrate every day.

When I made that amazing butterscotch pumpkin cake the other day I was left with extra pumpkin. Now what can I do with a half a can of pumpkin? My brain starts turning over all these ideas, should I make muffins, biscuits, cookies or maybe another cake. I decided on this pumpkin cookie recipe that I found on the Very Best Baking web-site.
If you like a soft, cake like cookie then this is the one you want to bake. I had a little trouble with the amount of milk that the glaze recipe calls for; I just added more milk and spread it on like frosting.

Old Fashioned Pumpkin Cookies
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups sugar
½ cup butter (1stick), softened
1 cup Libby’s 100% Pure Pumpkin
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Glaze (recipe follows)

Preheat oven to 350⁰F. Grease baking sheets.
Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in medium bowl. Beat sugar and butter in large mixing bowl until well blended. Beat in pumpkin, egg and vanilla extract until smooth. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto prepared baking sheets.
Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until edges are firm. Cool on baking sheets 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely. Drizzle glaze over cookies.

For Glaze:
Combine to cups sifted powder sugar, 3 tablespoons milk, 1 tablespoon melted butter and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract in small bowl.Pin It

1 comment:

Chef Dennis Littley said...

that sounds like a great cookie, especially with that glaze!!