Monday, February 15, 2010

13 Bean Turkey Chili

When I was shopping the other day I threw a bag of dried beans the kind that has 13 different types of beans in the bag into my shopping cart. I was thinking that I would make soup with the beans because I still have the ham bone leftover from Christmas in the freezer. Then my brain stated turning over recipes in my head. I asked Richard if he would like me to make bean soup or chili with the beans, he chose the chili.
Because you are using dried bean make sure you soak them over night then change your water and rinse the beans before cooking them, I also change the water and rinse them again after cooking them the first couple of hours because the water was dark.
This was the first time that I made chili from dried beans and if I do say so myself they turned out great.
I served my chili with Jalapeno Corn Bread.
13 Bean Turkey Chili
2 cups dried 13 bean mix
1 pound ground turkey
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 whole Jalapeno peppers, chopped
2 (4 oz.) cans diced green chilies
2 (14.5 oz.) cans diced tomatoes
1(15 oz.) can tomato sauce
4 cups water
4 chicken bouillon cubes
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon garlic powder

Rinse and clean beans; soak overnight in water.
Drain beans; rinse. Add beans to a large stock pot; cover with water and cook 1 ½ to 2 hours, or until beans are tender. Drain water and rinse beans again. Return beans to stock pot.

In a large skillet brown ground turkey, onion and garlic in 2 tablespoons of oil; drain.
Add to stock pot with beans.Add the remaining ingredients
and simmer 2 hours or until beans are tender.
For mild chili remove the seeds before chopping the jalapeno peppers.Pin It

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

An interesting mix with the 13 beans. I'll bet it was delicious.

Sook said...

Oh wow, I love that you used ground turkey. I've been using ground turkey a lot lately. They seem healthier. :) 13 beans - that is amazing!

Anonymous said...

13 bean mix? That's crazy! I've never seen such a thing where I live, only 3 bean or 5 bean etc. You make me envious now as I am a bean LOVER - especially in chili. Maybe i'll have to look into importing some of the stuff. 13 bean chili sounds scrumptious! So does your recipe post. Thanks