Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Potato Ham and Cheese Soup

This is an easy great tasting soup; I have been making potato soup for years it happens to be one of family’s favorites. I make a few different versions of potato soup, but today I am giving you this version over time I will be sharing my other recipes. Make this on a cold winter’s day or if you happen to have some leftover ham and you don’t know what to do with it, like I did.


Potato Ham and Cheese Soup
6 cups potatoes, cubed
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup carrots, sliced
1 cup ham, chopped
5 cups water
3 chicken bouillon cubes
½ teaspoon salt
Pepper to taste
2 tablespoons dried parsley
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

(You notice I left the skins on the potatoes I seldom peel them my family likes the skins to be left on)
In a large soup pot add potatoes, onion, ham, water, chicken bouillon, salt, pepper and parsley. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile; In a medium sauce pan melt butter over med-low heat, whisk in flour stirring constantly cook for 1 minute, slowly stir in milk; continue stirring until thick about 5 minutes; add cheese cook about a minute or until melted.

Slowly add milk cheese mixture to soup pot and stir until heated and well combined.

Pin It

No comments: